Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Potty Training 101

It's that time, yep, it's here, time to potty train my sweet Olivia. We've had a potty for quite a while and she's used the "big" potty a few times but we decided that it was time to buckle down and seriously potty train Olivia. What better time to start but when I'm on spring break, not like we've got anything else to do but hang out around the house for 9 days and use the potty, right?!?!?

I had Mom start last week with the whole potty thing and it's worked out GREAT, to say the least. We did encounter a little "hard headedness" last week when this whole thing started. We were going with the potty training idea of quit the diaper cold turkey, we moved right into panties on the first day...aren't we brave?!?! Monday went great, Olivia used the potty many times. Mom kept putting her on it every 15 minutes or so. This worked great for oh, let's just say 1 day. Not kidding, by Tuesday afternoon I was literally dragging her to the potty to use it. I was ready to throw in the towel and head straight back to diapers. Instead of doing that I decided that we should try a new approach. Olivia doesn't like to do things on anyone elses terms but her own, I have no idea where she gets that from. We started just asking her if she had to go every few minutes. Eventually she started going and was beginning to learn what it felt like to had to go. This method worked much better for us, YAY!!!

We are now on day 9 of no diapers and I have to say that it's wonderful. We have had our accidents, what potty training toddler doesn't?? Olivia has really started to understand the whole concept of using the potty and gets so excited about it. She even has her own little potty dance when she goes with her arms waving around in the air and singing. I'll have to keep the camera ready for the next time she does her potty dance, so you all can get a peak at it.

Being a parent is a learning experience and I've learned that we've got to do our own thing when it comes to somethings. We've taken the advice of many other mommy's and made it work for us. Here's to being diaper free after Sunday when Mommy goes back to work:)

No comments: